Jeff Bezos is an American philanthropist, businessman, and space explorer who is probably best known for creating the world’s biggest online marketplace, Amazon.com.
In 2018, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos was ranked at the top for the first time, surpassing Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
|Net worth||$137.2 Billion|
|Last Updated:||Sep 26, 2022|
|Born:||January 12, 1964|
|Height:||1.71 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Source of Wealth:||Amazon|
Jeff Bezos’s Net Worth Over Time
According to both Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index and Forbes, Jeff Bezos is the 4th-wealthiest person in the world and was the wealthiest from 2017 to 2021. This figure comes from Forbes’ real-time figures.
Here is Jeff Bezos’s Net Worth Over Time According to Forbes,
|1997||$ 120 million|
|1998||$ 1.6 Billion|
|1999||$ 7.8 Billion|
|2000||$ 4.7 Billion|
|2001||$ 1.2 Billion|
|2002||$ 1.8 Billion|
|2003||$ 2.5 Billion|
|2004||$ 5.1 Billion|
|2005||$ 4.8 Billion|
|2006||$ 4.3 Billion|
|2007||$ 8.7 Billion|
|2008||$ 8.2 Billion|
|2009||$ 6.8 Billion|
|2010||$ 12.6 Billion|
|2011||$ 18 Billion|
|2012||$ 23.2 Billion|
|2013||$ 25.2 Billion|
|2014||$ 32 Billion|
|2015||$ 34.8 Billion|
|2016||$ 45.2 Billion|
|2017||$ 72.8 Billion|
|2018||$ 112 Billion|
|2019||$ 131 Billion|
|2020||$ 113 Billion|
|2021||$ 177 Billion|
Jeff Bezos’s Companies
- The Washington Post.
- Blue Origin.
- AWS Elemental.
How did Jeff Bezos become rich?
Jeff Bezos founded Amazon in 1994 out of his garage in Seattle. He listed Amazon in an initial public offering at $18 per share in 1997.
Afterward, Amazon’s stock increased to over 40 times its worth. Net worth topped $12b the day Amazon went public in 1998. Then He made the Forbes 400 list for the first time in 1998.
Most of Jeff Bezos’ wealth comes from his Amazon shares. According to Forbes, He still owns 11% of Amazon shares and has sold an estimated $70 billion worth of shares since 1997.
He sells roughly $1 billion worth of shares yearly as part of a planned stock sale arrangement.
Jeff Bezos owns companies in several industries, including robotics, real estate, healthcare, retail, and media. Over the years, amazon acquired many of these companies.
In 2018, Bezos became the richest man in the world, knocking Bill Gates off the top spot.
If you had been smart enough to take $10,000 and buy shares of Amazon in October of 2001, today, you would have more than $15 million before counting any dividends.
Bezos owns The Washington Post and Blue Origin, an aerospace company developing rockets; he briefly flew to space in one in July 2021.
On July 5, 2021, Bezos stepped down from running Amazon, but the company is still going from strength to strength.
Also read: Elon Musk Net worth in 2022
- 1994 Founds Amazon.com to sell books online.
- 1997 Lists Amazon in an initial public offering at $18 per share.
- Net worth topped $12B the day Amazon went public in 1998.
- He made the Forbes 400 list for the first time in 1998.
- He founded Blue Origin, an aerospace company, in 2000.
- Introduces the Kindle electronic book reader (2007).
- E-book sales surpass traditional book sales on Amazon.com (2010 ).
- He founded Amazon Studios in 2010, distributing movies and series through theaters and Amazon Prime Video.
- Jeff Bezos bought The Washington Post for $250 million in 2013.
- He became the wealthiest person in the world in 2018, surpassing Bill Gates.
- 2019 Bezos and Mackenzie Scott announce they are divorcing.
- He was worth $136B the day he and his wife MacKenzie announced their separation.
- He was part of Blue Origin’s first human flight in 2021.
- Net worth hit $211 billion in July 2021
- He stepped down as Amazon’s CEO in 2021.
Favorite Jeff Bezos Quotes
Life’s too short to hang out with people who aren’t resourceful.Jeff Bezos
One of the only ways to get out of a tight box is to invent your way out.Jeff Bezos
Your margin is my opportunity.Jeff Bezos
We are stubborn on vision. We are flexible on details.Jeff Bezos
If you’re not stubborn, you’ll give up on experiments too soon.Jeff Bezos