The market of running shoes is by no means scarce. The brands that compete for customers’ attention are so many sometimes it’s hard to tell one from another. To stand out from the crowd, a company needs a highlight, something that will make it recognisable, be it design or a set of functional features. Topo Athletics walks two of those roads simultaneously, manufacturing footwear that strives to make the shoe wearing experience feel as natural as possible. In this article, Run United will explore the features and benefits of Topo Athletic Shoes and how the brand managed to gather such an extensive fan base.
- 1. What are Topo Athletic Shoes?
- 2. Topo Athletic Shoes Profile
- 3. Who Can Benefit from Wearing Topo Athletic Shoes?
- 4. Conclusion
Topo Athletic was born out of the vision of Tony Post, whose love for athletic performance and design accompanied him since his college years and inspired him to establish a company of his own. Tony spent over 30 years in the shoe industry before launching Topo Athletic to finally create a shoe that would allow runners to retain the benefits of natural running while enjoying the benefits of traditional running shoes.
The journey of Topo Athletic began in 2013, with its headquarters based in Newton, Massachusetts. The brand’s footwear philosophy was shaped by Tony’s own experiences as a runner. He was always perplexed by how traditional running shoes altered natural foot function and running mechanics. The company launched their first collection of running shoes that turned out to be an immediate success. The shoes were well-received thanks to their innovative design and comfort they provided. Since then, the company has continued to grow and innovate, earning recognition and awards for its products. For instance, their trail running shoe, the MTN Racer, received the “Gear of the Year” award from Runner’s World in 2020.
Topo Athletic Shoes Profile
Topo Athletic’s hallmark is their commitment to promoting natural running motion. At the same time, they are not ready to compromise on protection and support that usually take the backset in shoes like that. This philosophy permeates every pair of shoes they design.
One of the defining features of Topo shoes is their signature “roomy toe box and snug fit in the heel.” This design provides plenty of room for your toes to spread naturally allowing for a stable, comfortable stride. Unlike many other shoe brands that stick to pointed-toe boxes, Topo’s signature broad and rounded toe box respects the natural shape of the human foot. As a result, the balance and propulsion are much better than in ordinary running shoes.
Furthermore, Topo Athletic shoes are built with a low-drop design, typically between zero to 5mm, further encouraging a more natural running stance. This feature helps to promote better alignment, balance and control during runs.
Another distinctive feature of Topo shoes is their lightweight construction. They believe in the principle of “simplicity yields lightness,” which means they focus on creating shoes that are simple, functional and not encumbered with unnecessary features or technologies.
Another egg in Topo’s benefit basket is their focus on versatility. There are dozens of running shoe varieties and Topo covers all of them. From road and trail running to fitness and recovery, the brand has a pair for every possible running-related scenario.
Topo shoes are crafted from durable, high-quality materials. The upper mesh in the majority of models is designed to be ultra-breathable to keep your feet cool and dry even during intense workouts.
The outsoles of Topo Athletic Shoes are designed to offer excellent traction and grip, enabling you to handle various terrains with ease. That comes in particularly handy for trail runners, but other running enthusiasts can benefit from it as well. The low stack height also enhances ground feel and stability.
Even though it might seem like the brand is all about functionality, comfort and other health-oriented features, Topo Athletic don’t compromise on style either. With a sleek design and a range of vibrant colors, their shoes are every bit as fashionable as they are functional.
With the small army of features incorporated in every shoe, it feels like there is not a single person in the world who won’t benefit from wearing a pair of Topo Athletic shoes. With that being said, there are categories of people for whom owning a pair would be a particularly wholesome experience. Here are some of them:
- Runners: A road runner, a trail runner, a cross country runner, a Bladerunner – whichever type you are, you can definitely make use of a pair of Topo Athletic shoes. They provide everything a runner may need: comfort, stability, support – you name it. Your toes have probably long been asking for a roomier toe box and Topo Athletic can meet that need.
- Other Athletes: Let’s say you don’t run and do some other sport. Would getting a pair of shoes from a company that focuses on running footwear be an overkill? No, it wouldn’t. As we’ve already said, Topo Athletic boasts an extensive range of shoes, and there are many models you could use even if you are not a runner. The company’s fitness shoes, for example, are well-suited for gym workouts, cross-training and other high-intensity activities. They provide a flexible and secure fit that allows for a full range of motion, helping you perform at your best.
- People with Foot Problems: Individuals with foot problems such as bunions, hammertoes, or plantar fasciitis can also benefit from Topo Athletic shoes. The wide toe box comes to the rescue once again, offering ample space for your toes to spread out thus reducing pressure on problem areas. Plus, the snug heel fit provides the necessary support.
- Minimalist Shoe Wearers: Even though Topo Athletic shoes aren’t technically minimalist, they aren’t too far from them either. So, if you’re a fan of minimalist shoes, you’ll probably appreciate Topo Athletic’s low-drop design. This feature encourages a more natural foot position, similar to what you’d experience while barefoot, but with the added protection and support of a shoe. If you want to dip your toes in something different for a change, but not to stray too far away, Topo Athletic is a great choice.
As you can see, Topo Athletic is a brand with a philosophy and a widely implemented one. Their shoes offer a unique blend of close-to-natural comfort, functionality and style. They respect the natural biomechanics of the human foot, offering footwear that works in tandem with your feet. And it doesn’t really matter which activity you pursue: Topo Athletic has shoes for everyone.