Unlike other property damage, mold damage might be hard to detect. According to Louis Law Group, a Florida-based Mold Damage Insurance Claim Firm, mold goes undetected for years until it gets to a point where it becomes unmanageable for the property owner.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOUR HOME GETS DAMAGED BY MOLD?
- Let your insurance company know as soon as possible: Once mold damage is detected, it is advisable to let your insurance company know as quickly as possible. Failure to do so may lead to the denial of your claim. Even if you would have to leave the premises of your property, it is still essential you contact your insurance company as soon as you can.
- Once they have been notified, the claims process can then start: This is usually an extensive process that will require a lot of time and great attention to detail. This process would involve contacting your insurance company, an evaluation of the claim by your insurance company, and a resolution.
- Take pictures and videos: Taking pictures and videos of your property immediately after detecting mold damage is one crucial step you do not want to miss. This is because the photos and videos can serve as significant evidence in the case that your insurance company tries to prove difficult. These pictures and videos will show the actual state of your property after the damage and might be all you need to get yourself a fair settlement.
- Seek the services of a professional: getting a fair settlement after mold damage all boils down to your use of the services of a Mold Damage Insurance Claim Lawyer. Despite your insurance, you would be shocked that you might not get a deserving settlement without the services of a lawyer. Usually, insurance companies try to reduce the claim of homeowners when their property is damaged. One of their strategies is to claim that the damage resulted from the homeowner’s negligence when it was due to unavoidable circumstances. The lawyer will present the claim in such situations so that the insurance company cannot deny the claim.
HOW A LAWYER WILL HANDLE A MOLD DAAGE CLAIM
Some of the ways your lawyer will handle mold damage are:
- Investigation: First and foremost, your lawyer will start by investigating the mold damage, the cause, how long it has been happening, and the damage it has done to your property. During this investigation, your lawyer would compile all the evidence to strengthen your claim and make it undeniable. In a bid to improve your claim, your lawyer could go as far as getting experts such as engineers, plumbers, roofers, and general contractors to evaluate your claim. These experts will be retained to determine the cost of all your repairs.
- Negotiation: Another thing your lawyer would do is try to reach an agreement with your insurance company. This will be done by presenting your case to the insurance company and attempting to resolve it before it goes to court. However, if what they offer is less than what you deserve, your lawyer would not hesitate to cancel negotiations.
- Litigation: If the settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, then your lawyer might have to take the case to court. Because most insurance companies would prefer to pay the compensation outside court, most will settle once they learn of your intention to pursue legal actions.
- Guidance: After a mold damage, one of the things the insurance company will try to do is present a settlement that looks good to you. Most times, such settlements are pretentious. You will need a whole lot than that to cover the damages. If you are without a lawyer, you most likely will fall for it, and by the time you realize it, it will be too late to make amends. However, with a lawyer by your side, you will be guided through it all.
It’s dangerous to try to get your settlement yourself and ignore using the services of a lawyer after mold damage. If you do, you will only be making yourself a prey of insurance companies. The process involved in getting a settlement after mold damage is beyond stressful, and it is not something you would want to go through yourself. Also, your lawyer is more than knowledgeable about all you are entitled to after mold damage and will not hesitate to do everything within their power to get you a fair settlement.
As stated by this Lawyer Roll article, https://www.lawyerroll.com/should-you-hire-an-insurance-lawyer-for-property-damage-claims/, your lawyer will demand adequate compensation from your insurance company. They will certainly not just sit and watch you suffer losses from your property damage.