“A picture is worth a thousand words.” – It is a famous English language adage meaning that complex ideas can be conveyed by a single still image, which conveys its meaning or essence more effectively than a mere verbal description. (Source: Wikipedia)
We are well aware that the human brain registers images in a better fashion than texts. A concept learnt through incorporating images, videos, pictures or any other visual medium is retained better by the children. This means that visual representation is better for achieving good learning outcomes.
The heydays of blackboard, duster, chalks, notebooks and pens are gone now. It is time to welcome and embrace the new audio-visual aids of learning. It is the world of smart classes and smart learning with integrating technology in designing the curriculum. Smart classes for schools employ smart technologies such as 3D images, 3D models, audios, videos, presentations, pictures, podcasts, etc., to teach various concepts.
WHAT IS A SMART CLASSROOM?
A smart classroom provides tools to enable interactive learning by students and teaching by teachers. During the class, multimedia presentations are presented and broadcasted on the screen via a projector. Chalks and markers have been replaced by digital pens and laser light remotes – these tools aid in marking out and underlining essential points. Teachers find them very helpful in explaining the concepts clearly.
The content that is taught in the class can be taught live or via recorded lessons. The benefit of recording is that you can refer to it later, anytime from the repository created on cloud technology. The audio-visual mediums used in smart classes improve attentiveness, absorption and retention of information. Digital mediums used in smart classrooms are a boon for kids, especially those who have difficulty learning.
The use of pictures, infographics, 3D models, and videos helps the students’ minds entrench the concept better. The teachers can create an online repository of resources for tests, quizzes, revision, homework, exam, etc. The usage of digital pens and laptops instead of paper and pen also contribute to school learning.
Various components that facilitate a smart class’s smooth running are interactive boards, visualisers, speakers, amplifiers, microphones, projectors, video database, podcasts, documentaries, information manuals, e-books, etc. These components are stored in a smart cloud-based software service that is handy and accessible from anywhere with a secure internet connection.
MERITS OF A SMART CLASS IN SCHOOL LEARNING:
- Time Efficiency: As there is no need for writing or drawing on the board, more topics can be taught and assimilated in the same period compared to a traditional physical classroom. Therefore, smart classes are more time-efficient than regular class.
- Personalised attention for each student: A classroom doesn’t have all the students at one mark. They all have varied grasping power and learning ability. In a traditional classroom, the teacher can’t repeatedly repeat for a student who can’t catch up with others’ pace. On the other hand, smart classrooms are beneficial for students with slow grasping power. They play a vital role in the development of these students.
- Higher Interaction: It is a proven fact that the overall discussion between the teachers and the students can be more interactive and engaging in a smart class.
- Exciting & Fun Class Environment: Many students don’t prefer traditional education through blackboard and chalk anymore. They want engaging and fun ways of learning. They prefer audio-visual based learning because they enjoy it more.
- 24*7*365 access: A smart class is accessible from all the places with a good internet connection. You can revisit the old lessons after school hours or during holidays, or whenever you want.
- No loss for absenteeism: Latecomers and absentees can benefit a great deal from a smart class as they can access the resources and material taught in the class from the database later on.
- Caters to varied temperaments: A class has students of varied temperaments and IQ levels. A smart class can satisfy the needs of all of them. Students who are slow learners and find specific subjects complex feel that smart classes are favourable for them as they can learn at their own pace and access the information and data anytime, anywhere.
- Audio-visual aids give better understanding: Usage of pictures and videos makes it easier for them to understand and absorb the lessons well. There are better learning outcomes.
- Common repository of academic resources: The students have 24*7 access to all the academic resources and study material – revision modules, practice papers, assignments, question banks, etc. This ensures that the students can assimilate the concept well in their memory. Videos help in understanding a concept really well.
- Teacher-friendly: Teachers also find smart classrooms lucrative as they find it a fantastic option to complement their knowledge with audio-visual resources. They can innovate in their teaching methodologies.
There a few drawbacks of smart glasses – non-human touch and no social interaction. Also, some technical glitch could lead to disruption of class, time, resources, and energy. The students might feel the need to interact with their counterparts and learn from them. But overall, you can ignore the drawbacks if you choose to look at the brighter side. The pros of smart classes clearly outweigh the cons. Smart classes were the only ray of hope during the COVID-19 lockdown. We know that they are here to play a significant role in the education sector.
The future of schools and continuous, uninterrupted learning lies in the hands of smart classrooms. It is a progressive, novel and innovative means to learn in the 21st century. It has been adopted as an education dissemination medium by various schools across the country, and they have seen excellent results. COVID-19 showed that the schools with smart class systems were better equipped to conduct the classes than those that followed the traditional education system of education. Therefore, every school must incorporate smart class systems to provide a fantastic learning experience.