People like video streaming in their free time. That’s why video streaming platforms like Netflix are so popular today. However, the problem is that a lot of their beloved platforms are limited to one of the devices. More often, a viewer should use a computer to access a website via a browser. Due to that, many people leave these platforms in favor of those that have an OTT app for streaming videos on various devices.
In this article, we are going to shed a light on the OTT apps and their importance.
What is an OTT and OTT Application?
OTT (Over-the-top) solutions help to deliver various content over the Internet. The method of OTT streaming differs greatly from the one that satellite TV or cable TV provides.
How is it different? For example, to watch traditional TV, a user should have a TV set and cable or satellite connection. To access OTT platforms, viewers need the Internet connection and any device that can connect to the Internet: from mobile phones to smart TVs. These devices need an OTT app to allow users to stream video content.
As a provider/content creator, you will need an OTT Middleware. It is a program that will help manage subscribers, subscriptions, content, monetization models, determine the interface, and configure the applications in general.
Why are OTT Apps Popular?
A bunch of reasons make OTT apps popular. Let’s talk about them in detail:
- Multi-platform applications. Video streaming services available on multiple devices make OTT platforms so popular in the first place. Users can access their beloved content on any device which makes it comfortable for them. While one family member watches Hulu on the Smart TV, the other uses a laptop to stream Netflix, and so on.
- Freedom to watch whenever you want. The point refers to the previous one. The video streaming apps available on multiple devices allow viewers to watch content even if they aren’t at home. The possibility is really appreciated by those who spend time in lines or drinking coffee at cafes, etc.
- Freedom to choose what to watch. Unlike traditional TV, OTT services allow users a variety of content from which they can choose what to watch right now. Platform owners always add new videos to the already existing storage. It increases user satisfaction as they have something new to watch at their disposal.
- Reasonable price. Cable TV is less convenient in use and requires a higher access fee. OTT platforms allow saving money along with improved user experience.
In fact, video streaming platforms offering users OTT applications are more popular among viewers than those that can be watched at home. The more people find the service convenient and satisfying, the more revenue a business receives.
People tend to unsubscribe if they cannot access content from any device. They prefer the OTT platforms available on many devices to those that stick to one platform. A business owner should seriously consider launching OTT applications in order not to lose customers.
OTT apps also allow content makers to live stream. The feature can be helpful as it allows customers directly communicate with you and ask questions of interest.
How to Build an OTT App?
Of course, you can do everything on your own. But it will take a lot of time and effort, and you have video content to worry about. That’s why we recommend you to delegate: hire a developing team or find a white-label solution.
Hire a developing team
There are many freelance platforms where you can find a developer who will create exactly what you want. The process will come at a cost and take some time. Also, you should think about maintaining the platform. This approach is suitable for those who want to own the app.
- Your features
- Your design
- The platform belongs to you
Find a white-label solution
Companies that develop OTT platforms also often provide white-label OTT apps. It means that you don’t need to hire a developing team to create your platform. A white-label solution will be branded in your colors and logos, but the frame is pre-developed. Such applications have a variety of features to make the platform stand out and meet the business’s needs.
- Content security
What Else to Consider Before Launching an OTT App?
Here is the list of questions that will help you to decide whether to have an OTT app or not. It is especially helpful for those who don’t have a video streaming platform.
- Who is your target audience? You should understand their interests and needs deeply. You can use social media platforms to ask them about their preferences by arranging polls, surveys, reading comments, etc.
- What is your content strategy? It is essential to determine what type of content you will publish.
- Do you certainly need an OTT app? This question refers to the previous two questions as it is important to know whether your target audience will use the platform or you are creating it in vain.
- What is your promotion strategy? You can build an app and wait until people learn about it. But it will take a lot of time. It’s better to create a marketing campaign to spread the news about launching an app and videos it will offer.
- What will a monetization model be? OTT apps provide a number of monetization models. You need to decide beforehand how users will pay for videos:
- AVOD (Advertisement-based video on demand) means that videos are free of charge, but viewers will watch ads at some point in the video.
- SVOD (Subscription-based video on demand) points out that consumers need to pay for a monthly subscription to access videos.
- TVOD (Transactional video on demand) means that viewers will pay only for the video they want to watch right now.
- Hybrid subscription includes several monetization models. For instance, some videos can be available after paying for a monthly subscription; others can be Premium requiring an additional purchase.
OTT applications are a great way to be closer to your customers and build strong relationships with them. They can hold consumers’ attention on your platform reducing user outflow. Consequently, the revenue you get will be higher. That’s why a business owner should definitely consider launching an OTT app.