Moving to The US through Employment: Things to Know

Generally, countries around the world accept people to move into their territory if they have the potential to contribute to their society, including on humanitarian grounds. One of the most obvious ways to prove your future contribution to the society in a foreign country is through employment, as through employment you will contribute to the economy and play other intangible roles.

The United States is no exception. This country accepts people from various fields of work to move into their country through employment and accommodates this bureaucratically through the different types of visas. In this article, we will explain some US employment visas that give you a chance to move into this country and realize your American Dream.

Temporary worker visas

By using a temporary worker visa, you may enter the United States to work temporarily. While these visas are for temporary work and not necessarily for immigration, immigration may be arranged after you’ve entered the country.

These visas listed below are dual intent, which may be a good way to set your foot in the United States, find stable and permanent employment, and settle in the US. While visas like the tourist visa require you to prove your intention to not immigrate to the US, people who hold dual intent visas may immigrate and are provided a clear path to permanent residency (Green Card).

H-1B visa

Going by the principle that the US accepts people who will contribute to their society and economy, it is no wonder that they welcome people in specialty occupations to enter and work in the country.

To be eligible for the H-1B visa, you must be hired to work in the US in specialized fields, such as STEM or humanities.

The application process for this visa requires your future employer to file a petition on your behalf to the USCIS. Therefore, simply being holding a specialized occupation is not enough: you must be hired by a US employer.

After entering the US and starting work, there is a clear path you can take to US permanent residency, which makes this visa a good starting point for immigration.

L-1 visas

If you hold a managerial position in a foreign company and need to work in an affiliate, branch, parent, or subsidiary office in the United States, you may enter and work in the US with an L-1 visa. This visa may also be used by your company to send you as an executive to establish a new office in the US.

L-1 visas are also given out to workers with specialized knowledge, while not necessarily holding an executive position.

O-1 visa

Also known as the talent visa, it is given out to persons who have extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or in the motions picture or television industry. This visa has no quota set and is extendable by one-year increments, granted that the applicant continues to work in the field that justifies the visa.

The application process for this visa involves your employer in the US, as well as consultation from relevant US trade organizations related to your field.

A clear path to Green Card is also available for holders of this visa, making this a good choice for top scientists, artists, educators, businessmen, athletes, and actors looking to relocate to the United States.

Immigrant employment-based (E) visas

If you have permanent employment in the United States, you may apply for an immigrant visa. With this visa, the intent to immigrate is clear, which is why the employment must be permanent, not just temporary.

As is the case with temporary workers’ visas, the application process for E visas involves your employer, who will need to petition on your behalf.

One of the ways to be eligible for an E visa is to be a specialized worker with enough experience, knowledge, and ability. There are three tiers of preference for such workers:

  1. E1: Priority Worker and Persons of Extraordinary Ability.
  2. E2: Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability.
  3. E3: Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers).

Besides the E1, E2, and E3 categories, there are other kinds of E visas.

There’s the E4 visa, given out to certain special immigrant workers. This visa is generally granted to workers who work, cooperate, have worked, or cooperated with the US Government or certain international organizations abroad. Certain religion ministers and workers may also apply.

Lastly, there’s the E5 for persons who have invested in the US economy and job creation in the US.

What do you think?

Written by Joshua White

Leave a Reply

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

    How To Ship A Mattress

    To Improve Your Marketing Efforts, Take Advantage of These 4 Resources