Two months back, my younger sister faced severe itching and dandruff issues. After using some natural remedies, when the scalp got more oily, we decided to take her for a check-up. We went to Central Hospital, Karachi. The oily scalp can be due to numerous causes but it can be treated well. If you’ll neglect the overproduction of oil, it can lead to slickly and stringy hair. Moreover, many fungal and bacterial infections can set in there.
We are living in a fully polluted environment either it’s the water pollution or air pollution. The whole day in this polluted air causes severe effects on our body and hair. Primarily an oily scalp is due to the overproduction of oil by sebaceous glands. These glands in our hair have many tiny pores that produce natural oil. That oil is called sebum.
Effects Of Oily Scalp:
An oily scalp makes your hair greasy and frizzy. This overproduction of oil can have many irritating effects on your health and your hair. Some of them are detailed below.
- Your skin can be irritated and inflamed. It can lead to further infections of your scalp.
- The oiliness in your hair makes it clog and results in the greasiness of your hair.
- Oily scalp can help the bacteria to build up there and cause acne on your skin. This unnecessary production of oil is the case of acne. Basically, this is the oil that gathers up in the pores to form acne bumps.
- The areas of the scalp having many sebaceous glands can become itchy pink and scaly. This is the formation of dandruff in your scalp.
- The allergies can be caused by many invading chemicals due to the loss of protective layer. These chemicals can be in many products you use for your hair like shampoos and treatments.
- The unnecessary oil formed over the follicles can block them and reduce the growth of your hair.
- An oily scalp can cause excessive hair loss and it can be due to numerous other reasons like aging and damage of hair follicles with passing time.
Major Causes Of Oily Scalp:
The overactivity of sebaceous glands mainly causes the scalp to be extra oily. But this sebum is a necessity for our hair. It keeps both our scalp and hair healthy. But overactivity makes it dangerous for our skin. It provokes hair fall and excessive dandruff in hair. Many factors can be responsible for this imbalanced productivity such as,
- Sometimes, genetics has a role in the unhabitual behavior of sebaceous glands. Your genes determine the qualities of your hair, its thickness, oiliness, and greasiness.
- This activity can be temporary because of the imbalance of hormones. For instance, during the menstruation period or during pregnancy.
- Your diet has a major role in making your scalp healthy or greasy. Our diet is the main factor that determines our health from head to toe.
- The environment can also be humid and cause bad effects on your scalp.
- The oily scalp can be due to an allergic reaction in the body. It can be a temporary and a reactive condition. You can know the cause of allergy by visiting the best trichologist in Karachi asap to avoid further infections in your scalp.
- The timely acne formed on the forehead can be a cause of excessive production of oil by sebaceous glands. So, forehead acne is an alarming sign to take care of your hair.
- Many skin allergies like eczema can cause the scalp to be more oily by making it red and scaly. Psoriasis is also a skin disease that leads to the oily scalp.
- Washing your hair more often can lead to the protective layer being washed away.
- Commercial shampoos having various chemicals in them can damage the oily layer and cause the glands to produce more oil.
Take Care Of Your Hair!
It isn’t a way to leave your hair on its own. No infection or itchiness is impossible to treat. An oily scalp can be treated well and sebaceous glands can be taken back to normal functioning. Have a check on your diet and don’t wash your hair too often. Use the hair products carefully and that’s it!