While you must always replace the lenses if the scratches are deep, but you’ve got a few scrapes on the surface, you don’t have to spend a large chunk of money on a new pair. We are here to tell you how to fix scratched glasses with coatings with some easy tips.
Don’t let the scratches on your glasses drive you insane. Use this guide to find out how to remove scratches from glasses.
Tip 1 – Use Toothpaste
You never would have guessed that toothpaste could be used to fix scratched glasses lenses. But, when using this remedy, make sure you use non-gel, non-abrasive, and non-whitening toothpaste or you would be making the damage even worse.
Here are the steps to use toothpaste on glasses.
- Put a small amount of toothpaste on a cotton ball.
- Gently rub the cotton ball on the lenses in a circular motion.
- Rinse the lenses with lukewarm water and wipe them using a microfiber cloth.
- See if the scratches are still visible. If they are, repeat the process until the scrapes are gone completely.
Using toothpaste is an easy and affordable way to fix scratches lenses of your blue light blocker glasses. But if the damage is beyond a few scratches, then you’ll need to change your glasses.
Tip 2 – Use baking soda
Baking soda is such a common kitchen item and it could be used to make the scratches on your lenses disappear. Baking soda is a great alternative to toothpaste and it’s so easy to rinse off as well.
- Make a mixture of baking soda and water.
- Apply this mixture on your lenses with the help of a soft cotton ball and rub it without using much force.
- Rinse it off under cold water.
- If the scratches are still visible, do the process again.
If you have any additional free coating on your glasses lenses, this is the most effective way to fix scratched lenses.
Tip 3 – Use car cleaning wax
Car cleaning wax would work the same as a metal polish or toothpaste except for the fact that it’s much less abrasive and won’t cause any damage to your lenses.
Here’s how to apply car cleaning wax to your glasses.
- Put a small amount of car cleaner on the lenses.
- Rub gently with a soft scratch-free cloth.
- You’ll soon start to see all the marks and scratches are going away.
This remedy will make your glasses look new. Make sure to wipe the lenses just to remove any residue of the wax. But, if your lenses are beyond repair, get new glasses as your vision is more important than anything.
You can get your new glasses from brands such as Specscart that provide free protective lens coatings on every pair of glasses. You’ll be saving your money and won’t have to compromise with your view.
Tip 4 – Metal polish
You have to be careful when using this remedy. Lenses are made from plastic or polycarbonates that don’t damage when rubbed with a metal polish.
Look for non-abrasive metal polish as strong ones would wreak the coatings on your glasses. Here’s how to use this remedy.
- Add a small amount of metal polish to your glasses.
- Take a soft cloth, tissue to a cotton ball to spread the polish to the entire lens.
- Keep rubbing until you see the scratches reducing in appearance. This can take some time so have some patience.
- Once you are done buffing away, take a cotton ball and dip it into alcohol.
- Rub alcohol on the lenses to clean them and give a final touch to the process.
These steps will clean your glasses thoroughly and buff away the scrapes and scratches. Plus, the alcohol would make sure that your glasses aren’t smelling like metal fumes.
Tip 5 – Use the lens cleaner
You can fix the scratched glasses with the help of a lens cleaner. This process would only take 5 minutes and give you the best results.
- Start off by cleaning your spectacles by running them under the water. This will get you rid of any dirt or debris on the lenses.
- Appy lens cleaning solution on your glasses. Let it sit on your lenses for a minute.
- Wipe the lenses using a microfiber cloth or a lint-free towel.
- This will clean your glasses and reduce the visibility of the scratches to some extent.
These were all the tips to help you fix scratched glasses lenses. All of these tips are handy and affordable. Make sure to try them out and make your glasses look as good as new. If you’re planning to buy new ones, you can get affordable glasses in the UK from online eyewear websites.