Human-machine interface (HMI) refers to any device that aids an operator to interact with a system. The human-machine interface is integrated into the industries to monitor and control machines. Due to new technological advancements and innovations, devices have become more sophisticated. The constant development in software has dramatically improved easier interaction.
Through the automatization process, the HMI interface dispenses specific operation responses. HMI features a computer-like screen with touch elements. Human Machine Interface aids in displaying and viewing indicator information like material counts, pressure, temperature, and process steps. Human operators can access the HMIs on automobiles, appliances, the industrial sector, machines, and handheld devices. An example of the modern human-machine interface is the ATM, Smartphone, and video games.
Human-machine interfaces are programm using special software for easy operation. Each push button is programm to a specific input or output indicator. To facilitate easy compatibility of the device, networking protocols such as Modbus, Profibus, and Ethernet may be used.
Some distinct advantages of HMI include;
- Enhance data saving and recording: The interface entails entering commands into the system. Automatically the system can save the data for purposes such as troubleshooting.
- Data Translation: HMI systems are built with the ability to translate data from industrial modes to readable visual representations by the operator. The optical data can easily aid in controlling the system, such as switching on and off.
- Improved worker satisfaction: Integrating HMI software with ease of access, individual operators can use the systems to boost comfort. For instance, in video games, gamers can engage in online games from varying localities.
- Improved productivity: Using the Human-machine interface, devices can do more work in lesser time. HMI performs a task that a human can function more efficiently hence promoting more productivity.
- Easy monitoring: The HMI system allows the interconnection of devices through the internet. This feature enables remote control, access, and network monitoring.
- Reduce the cost of hardware: Human-machine interface replaces cables and console hardware hence cutting costs.
Cons associated with Human Machine Interface
Security: As the Human machine interface integrates internet use, the system can be prone to hacking. In a scenario where the HMI system crash, it may result in loss of vital data.
Poor Interface design: Poorly designed operator interface results in operational errors and devastating impacts on performance and safety.
Components of Human-machine Interface
Membrane switch: This element works to aid in toggle on and off an electrical circuit. The membrane switch performs the role of turning on and off the device. The membrane-like design is used in the construction of HMI because they are resistant to moisture and debris.
Rubber Keypads: The human-machine interface device incorporates keypads made from materials like plastic and rubber. Rubber keypads are an excellent choice as they offer unique features such as improved ergonomics, dust resistance properties, light tactile feedback, and water resistance.
Touch screen interface: The screen incorporates either resistive or capacitive technology.
The human-machine interface is practical and valuable in modern world industries. Consider incorporating a user-friendly, weather-resistant, and powerfully built human-machine interface to deliver the best experience in your industry.