Since Netflix and Amazon Prime showed up in our lives, fewer and fewer people are interested in going out to watch their favorite movies. Planning a movie night is fun, whether it’s with your family, friends, or soulmate. For most people choosing a movie is a hectic task. If you are a geek and a movie junkie, multiply that by 1000. But for us picking the right snack has been an issue. Sweet? Savory? Or just a combo meal? This is probably one of the most complex phases that foodies go through. By experience and love for food, we have made a list of some of the most popular snacks to munch on movie night:
Bourbon Sea-Salt Caramel Bars
Your regular caramel bars aren’t going to make the cut, especially once you get a taste of these delicious sea salt caramel bars. Sea salt will enhance the flavor of your regular caramel. Munch these scrumptious bars throughout the movie with chips of your choice.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 24 oz. condensed milk, sweetened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, small cubes
- 4 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, flaky
- Cooking thermometer
- Coat a square 8-inch pan with cooking spray and baking paper.
- Cook sugar, corn syrup with ½ cup water on a medium-high flame and keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved completely. You can cook until the mixture turns into an amber color. This typically takes around 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat while whisking and add condensed milk and butter cubes. This will cause the mixture to bubble vigorously.
- At the same time, put your thermometer in your saucepan and keep it on heat until the mixture turns 240o.
- Remove it from heat immediately and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Mix bourbon in your caramel and sprinkle some sea salt on it.
- Once the mixture thickens, cut into small bars.
- Caramel can be stored for 2 weeks in airtight jars at room temperature.
- You can also add roasted and salted cashews to the mixture.
Mozzarella Garlic Rolls
Forget your diet on movie night. Eat carbs and tingle your taste buds with the fluffy and cheesy goodness of these delicious mozzarella garlic rolls that have the perfect amount of spice. This recipe is not just for movie night. Make it a family favorite on Sunday dinners and other special events.
For The Dough
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 ½ teaspoon of dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 8 tablespoons butter, unsalted and softened
- 2 egg yolks, large eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
For The Filling
- 8 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
- 12 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated (fresh is preferred)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon parsley, paste
- ½ cup barbecue chicken, grated (optional)
For The Dough
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until it feels warm on your fingertip. Do not over boil it.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle the milk with yeast and a pinch of sugar and leave it there for 7 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk butter and egg yolks.
- Add this in your milk saucepan and mix until everything is combined properly.
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer. Slowly add the wet ingredients to this mixture and process at low speed.
- Once everything is combined perfectly, increase the speed of your mixture for 2 minutes.
- The dough can be a little too gooey and sticky, but you can easily scrape it from the bowl.
- Transfer your dough to a pre-buttered bowl. You can use melted butter or vegetable oil to grease the sides of your bowl.
- Cover this mixture and let it sit in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours. Put it in the fridge for the next 6 hours.
- Lightly flour a surface and transfer your dough to that surface. Roll it until it is ¼ inches thick.
- Mix together butter, garlic, chicken, parsley and brush it all over the dough evenly.
- Sprinkle it with both cheeses. You can also sprinkle some cashew powder on top.
- Roll the dough to form a cylinder and brush everything with melted butter.
- Cut the rolls 2 inches thick and put them on a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at a 350oF preheated oven until they are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite sauces.
Who doesn’t like these juicy and irresistibly tangy wings? Buffalo wings might not be a favorite for children, but many adults enjoy their unique flavor. Here is how to make them.
- 6 lbs. wings, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, equally divided
- 3 teaspoon black pepper, ground and equally divided
- 2 ½ teaspoon onion powder, equally divided
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar, light
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup yogurt, plain and whole
- 12 celery stalks
- Put the baking rack on the upper half of the oven and preheat it at 250oF.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a circulatory rack on the sheet.
- Combine baking soda, garlic powder, half of the kosher salt, black pepper, and onion powder in your large bowl.
- Wash and dry your chicken wings until they are completely dry.
- Put them in the spice mix and toss until the wings are covered evenly.
- Place the wings on your rack with adequate space between them. Don’t overcrowd your rack. Use more than one rack if you have one.
- Bake the wings for 25 minutes until they start looking pale. Right after that, crank the oven temperature up to 500oF and let them cook for another 15 minutes. Turn them on the other side and bake for 15 more minutes until they are evenly golden on all sides.
- Take them out and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Boil hot sauce, butter, and brown sugar on medium heat until the mixture starts to simmer. Keep swirling it for at least 8 minutes or until it thickens.
- Transfer wings in a bowl and cover hot sauce until everything is evenly covered.
- Mix blue cheese, yogurt, and other half of black pepper, salt, and onion powder in a bowl. Mix well and chill it in the fridge.
- Cut celery sticks in diagonal pieces.
- Put everything in place and serve with blue cheese sauce.
Give your everyday nachos a fancy twist for movie night. These Smokey nachos will be a great addition to your movie night snacks. Just don’t enjoy them before the movie even starts!
- 4 oz. Salmon
- 1 wood plank, cedar preferred
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- ½ zucchini, sliced
- ½ yellow squash, sliced
- ¼ cup yellow onion, sliced
- ½ cup corn, grilled
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 ½ cup tortillas, blue corn
- 1 ½ cup tortillas, yellow corn
- Seasoning, to taste
- Take a 9×13 inch baking dish and fill it halfway with water.
- Soak the wood plank in the water and let it sit there for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill at a medium-high level.
- Take the plank out of the water and put your salmon on the plank. Drizzle half of the olive oil on salmon and season it properly.
- Grill salmon for 15 minutes and turn on the other side as well.
- Shred the salmon.
- Put the remaining half of the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, squash, and zucchini in the oil with seasoning.
- Saute until they are caramelized from the outside.
- Put your tortilla chips on the baking sheet. Mix them until they are evenly distributed on the baking sheet.
- Put it in a tray or wooden board.
- Top the tortilla chips with saute vegetables.
- Top with corn and jalapenos.
- Finally, top it with salmon and lots and lots of cheese. Top off with some fair trade cashews for a bit of crunch.
- Broil for five minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Movie night is a big hassle for geeks and film junkies. This gets worse if you are a foodie as well. These simple recipes can make any movie night fun. Give yourself some time to plan and prepare these recipes and have a perfectly fulfilling and scrumptious movie night. Forget your diet and enjoy an amazing movie night. You can even enjoy these snacks other than movie nights.